Friday, November 13, 2009

Cheeseburger!

Earlier today I walked through the Key Bank parking lot right next door to my house, and I noticed a small stone memorial historical marker with some words etched into the top. Turns out the cheeseburger was invented...AT MY HOUSE!


A guy named Louis Ballast owned the Humpty Dumpty Barrel Drive-in Cafe, where he invented the cheeseburger in 1935. Though some argue he was not the first to slap cheese on a hamburger, he did beat everyone else to the punch by patenting it first. The Humpty Dumpty Barrel Drive-in Cafe (What a great name! I could say it over and over again, all day long...) used to be located right here at my house, on this very spot, or at least within a few yards of here, as the original building burned down a long time ago, and it's hard to say precisely where the building was. But I am willing to say that the rise of the world's cholesterol level literally began right where I'm sitting, right now. (Ta da! The sustainable living connection. I knew I could do it.)

Here's an article talking about it. And here's a picture of the marker that I found at this website:


How cool am I? The cheeseburger was invented at my house! I made a cheeseburger for dinner to celebrate. Admittedly, neither the inventor, Louis Ballast, nor his customers would likely recognize what I had as a cheeseburger, since the major ingredients, all organic of course, consisted of a gluten-free veggie burger, a rice flour hamburger bun, and almond cheese, but c'mon, how many people do you know who can say the cheeseburger was invented at their house? Right? Admit it. I'm cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment