Saturday, January 30, 2010

Roots

I have a theory: most anyone who leaves their hometown eventually comes full circle and finds, creates, or, at minimum, yearns for the best parts of what they had growing up, often with a slight twist. City kids return to cities, but live in better neighborhoods. Suburban kids find a nice quiet suburb to live in, perhaps near the mountains or ocean or a more interesting city. Hippie kids from California move to Boulder. Hippie kids from Boulder move to California. Nomads buy a new camel. And small town kids return to small towns, but ones near their favorite cities to get their occasional urban culture fix. Apparently, I'm no different.


After years of wandering the metropolises of the world, I've finally realized that I'm a country boy at heart. I recently lived in Denver for a decade, and currently live in Buenos Aires, the 10th (or 17th, depending on who you ask) largest city on the planet. But you know what? I'm done with cities. (For now.)

I want small town, rural living again. I want to be around trees, animals, clean air, community, good-hearted folk who sincerely care about their neighbors, and a slower, healthier, and cheaper way of life. I want farmers markets and CSAs. I want a big organic garden. And fruit trees. And bees. A crick and a pond (or an ocean!). Baby goats even? Maybe a whole farm. And someone to share it all with. All in good time.

Since I can work from anywhere with a fast internet connection, I don't see any reason why I shouldn't move back to the country again. I miss it.

2 comments:

  1. before of after twilight eternity, boy? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. During. You should come visit my farm in, say, 200 years. Lunch is on me.

    ReplyDelete