Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Wormholes: The Hidden Danger of Buying Local


I found a fold in the fabric of space-time today.


I live on a north-south street very near a corner. I walked two very short blocks (50 meters each) west to the lavandería (laundromat), took a 90% right turn (going north) one very short block to a frutería (fruit stand) to buy some peaches, took a 90% right (heading east) toward my street for two very short blocks, expecting that I'd be one very short block north of home on my street again, where I'd pick up some fresh bread and chocolate cake at the panadería (bakery) a couple doors north of the front door to my apartment. A simple 2 X 1 rectangle. Makes sense, right?

Enter the space-time fabric fold. After making the first two turns and walking a total of five very short blocks, I ran into not my street, but rather a major east-west highway that is perfectly straight and approximately 20 longish blocks northeast of my house, an entirely different direction from the original westward-pointing rectangle.

Not having my Guía (Buenos Aires map book) and being eternally confused by the northern position of the sun down here, I asked for directions from multiple people. They all gave the same directions back home, which was straight down a small southwest-pointing diagonal street I'd never heard of, walking the 20 longish blocks over the next 30 minutes, passing streets I'd also never heard of, since they're so far from my house. This small, unknown street finally crossed my street five blocks north of my house. Only contact with a fifth dimension can explain this geometry.


The peaches, however, were delicious.

1 comment:

  1. In Quito, starting at the intersection of streets x and y, I once managed to cross street x once and street y twice while trying to find my way to my destination. I have no idea how I managed to do that, since I was walking in roughly the same direction away from that intersection the whole time.

    ReplyDelete