Friday, February 26, 2010

Conquering the Devil's Throat

Most people visit the natural wonders of the world and just take and take and take. What can this park do for me? Not me. I give back.

A couple weeks ago, I traveled up north to Las Cataratas, aka IguazĂș Falls, the world's biggest and most impressive waterfalls (depending on whom you ask), with a beautiful French woman named Sophie.
The whole trip was amazing, the company fantastic, and I don't have enough superlatives for the falls.

We spent the whole day wandering the Amazonian rainforest, skipping from one vista to the next, taking a boat tour right under the falls, et cetera. However, I ate a sandwich malo for lunch, and right at the end of the day, right when we were at the end of the boardwalk peering down over the precipice of La Garganta del Diablo (The Devil's Throat, see pic below), which is the highest and most wonderful part of the falls, I got sick. Very sick. And vomited right into The Devil's Throat. A lot.



Realizing how ridiculous this situation was, I was actually laughing the whole time. Sophie wanted to take my picture, but was worried the crowd would mob her for her insensitivity, which is a shame, because that would've been my favorite pic from Argentina so far. Pale as a ghost, laughing maniacally, leaning over the rail, giving my all to the raging waters inches below my feet. Shocked onlookers all around. I'd have that framed.

This will have to do instead.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah... sorry I didn't take that picture, but people were really staring and it was bad enough that I was laughing too. I didn't want to be one of these molesting European wives ! ;-)

    Great blogpost, though !

    SOPHIE <3

    ReplyDelete