Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Difference Between Broke and Poor

I spent the first half of 2010 living and traveling in South America, largely in Buenos Aires. Most of that time, I had no money. As in, I often had to stretch 10 Argentine pesos (about US $2.50) out for a week or two at a crack. I frequently walked five or ten miles across the city to get home for lack of a single peso (i.e. a US quarter) for bus or subway fare. I even went without meals of any kind for two to three days on more than one occasion. Yep, I was that broke. However...


Having traveled in the developing world and seen the poverty in which a literal majority of the world's population lives, I am continually grateful for how fortunate I am to have been born in a wealthy, healthy, and safe country with free public schools, good hospitals, clean water, plentiful fresh food, good jobs, et cetera. I'm also endlessly grateful for having great parents and a supportive family. I may be broke, but I'll never be poor.

Broke is when you don't have any money. Poor is when you don't have a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment